Sunday, November 13, 2011

Abraham anachronisms!

I am totally sick of reading Joseph Smith.  The Book of Mormon was not an easy read.  Even the minister from Jamaica in that video admitted it took a lot of time to get into the literature. I call it literature because the material is absolutely ridiculous.  He takes Christianity, flips it upside down, and then figures out a way to gain credibility and followers with cash.  I am amazed that this religion has become so widespread, especially based upon how many Mormons I know versus the number of Baha'i followers.  The main point is that our prompt asks us for signals that this text is not actually from 2000 BC, and I my response is that all questions regarding this work are asinine and I'm giving up on this text.

Well... not quite, I do realize I should comment on something so famously controversial.  The Book of Abraham is essentially a twisted story of Abraham's life.  It includes all sorts of facts that do not apply in any other religious texts; Abraham has not, to my knowledge, been almost sacrificed before.  He also did not take special interest in astronomy or spirits.  These seems like a simple conglomeration of odd religions the vaguely apply to the foundations of the Old Testament.  When Joseph says "And it came to pass," his literature's credibility, in my opinion, is totally blown.  I don't think his drawings at the back and the front look at all similar to ancient Egytians', nor could they apply to any humans (these figures looks much more god-like, humans were drawn based upon specific proportioning rules.)  I am ecstatic to be working on Greek mythology after this, because it is has just as (if not more) cock-a-mamy stories, AND they are written cleverly with personalities for the characters.  They do not pretend to be something they are not.  I feel that if Joseph Smith had written his set of Mormon values based upon a text that was authentic to the nineteenth century style of life in America, then he would have developed a less exile-able culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment